Back in elementary school, we are told that Marriage is the consensual and legal union of a man and a woman to become husband and wife. But this [definition] has been placed under a great threat with the spread of union between couples of same sex and this is eventually damaging the very first unit upon which the society is fabricated.

Away from the damaging effect of same sex union and the basic definition of marriage; experiences of people seem to have imprinted various definitions in the minds of people and these definitions relate either a feeling of bitterness or fulfilment to the world beyond the walls. Marriage has never been without challenges and only those who really understand its concept have the wherewithal to succeed in it.

What's the drive?
What actually influences one's decision to go into marriage? It is quite forgivable to see people go into marriage just because of love. However, I believe that for marriage to take place and stand the test of time; MATURITY is crucial and as marriage is concerned, maturity should be viewed from these critical angles: spiritual; financial; emotional and physical. This submission is not an unfamiliar one but man, time and again, tends to alienate himself from the fact that he needs to find himself first before he embarks on the pursuit of raising a home for himself. He must know his capabilities...plus he has to be financially and emotionally stable and should also not be tempted to think he can leave God out of the marriage equation.

Marriage, in its pure state, is meant to be enjoyed and well appreciated bit any 'union' that merely exist to bring two immature lovebirds together could lead to 'Marred-Age'- years of frustration and bitterness that imprisons an individual even against his/her will. A few weeks, attention was drawn to the news about the woman who stabbed her husband [to death] over his inability to make provisions available for Christmas celebration: what a tragic turn of event.

Parting shot
Marriage is one experience many wish to have yet it is a no-go-area to some persons who have directly or indirectly seen the unsavory side of marriage. Notwithstanding, some are loving the status of being 'married'. It is to this end that I leave you with this:
If you are not yet in; you have got to be careful before plunging into it...there's a right person for you but you do not have to rush in AND if you are in it but enduring the sequence of events unfolding in the home, I charge you to take some time out with your partner to work things out- do not leave things to chance. However, if you are enjoying it, I encourage you not to quench the flame...keep tolerating each other's shortcomings and growing through it to become better.

The choice to have that union end up in 'Marriage' or 'Marred-Age' lies in your hand. Hence, take heed that you do not toy with the idea of marriage. You can have a blissful home and future for yourself.

As someone once said: "Marriage is not a word...it is a life sentence": I hope you keep this in mind.