"My mind told me to do it but I never wanted to take a chance
so I stayed back cos of the fear of failure"
"I should have done that...I could have been the one celebrating
or being celebrated now"
Many are the scenarios that paint the picture of man's attempt to take a decision [that leaves his name in the sands of time] but the negatives in his mind kept him rooted to the spot [of unaccomplishment]. This occurs from trying out something with the minutest of details to making life changing decisions, whereby man's failure to do this, has contributed to making the grave 'the greatest reservoir of talents'.
The comfort zone is a state of the mind whereby one naturally feels very secured- though falsely. It is a state that assuages to the helplessness of its denizens who have come to see reasons for not wanting to try- a disposition of no risk. Staying in the comfort zone keeps one's potentials 'locked up in a box'. However, it must be noted that the comfort zone is not just a place in time but a conception [which cages potentials] in season.
A story is told of a convicted murderer whom, the Judge, gave the grace to choose between facing a firing squad and walking out of the prison's door whereupon lies freedom [which was oblivious to the convict who died, having gone with the option of facing the firing aquad]. He flowed in the direction to which his mind had consigned- death and nothing more...he chose to comfort himself with the prospect of facing the squad. Although the comfort zone is not a place where a purpose oriented person wants to be but its allure could so gripping that one fails to see its crippling effect thus to get out of the comfort zone, you have got to PUSH and fight your way out.
The comfort zone is not a position to occupy for goal-getters. Hence, a man who is on a mission does not stay at his comfort zone; he finds a way to explore. I believe the very first stage of breaking free from anything is by 'telling oneself the raw truth' and in this regard, if you have been crippled by your comfort zone and I desire a way out, it is expedient that you expunge the fear of the 'unknown'- what lies on the 'other side'. It's time to exit your comfort zone and break forth. To exit your comfort zone, you must:
Change your mindset. What has given you that state of false security in the zone you find yourself, are the philosophies that you have come to believe through the course of time and these have left you coasting with the tides of life rather setting the sail to suit the fulfillment of your purpose. Changing your mindset will not come easy as a struggling is inevitable...the new horizon your heart craves for might appear strange but it is in this unfamiliarity that life is born. Afterall, the world was a strange for us all once upon a time.
Fuel your vision. Nothing significant ever happens at the comfort zone; it is not a place for an individual who has a purpose in life. So, in order to achieve purpose, you must consistently fuel your vision as you zealously pursue your goals. When you do this, you comfort zone will begin to get 'uncomfortable'- the struggle becomes tense- for you because of what is stirring you.
Have Faith. The belief you have in what you hold true, gives you the courage to face your fears. Without facing your fears, your comfort zone 'homes you in'. Faith helps you to keep some degree of confidence even when the coast is not yet clear...the faith you have in what you stand for tells the world you are ready to take up the challenge life is throwing your way.
Launch out into the deep. Attempting to exit your comfort zone without repositioning is like wandering through a perimeter. Launching into the deep is a step into the discovery of the real YOU and this is the most crucial stage of BECOMING- living a purpose-driven. Once you have conquered your fears through faith, you need to take the launch and let the world see and have a feel of your substance. In the words of Shannon L. Alder: "Life always begins with one step outside of your comfort zone"...Life is an adventure; you've got to go beyond the surface to get the most out of it.
The comfort zone begets a low or no life and this is quite appealing BUT this is not where you are created to be...there is more to you than your comfort zone can deliver to you...escape from that zone now and BREAK FORTH!