Towards a brighter future: Preparation for 2019 Elections hots up

Save one decides to shy away from what is obtainable, it is quite obvious that quite a considerable number of Nigerians have become skeptical about seeing a ‘better Nigeria’ as the hope they once nursed [to have a great nation where things will function properly] seemed to have been blown away time and again by the politicians whose promises they had held in high esteem. Aside the many issues that affect various sectors, we, as a people, have suffered from ill-administration which has, no doubt, been detrimental to our development. The politicians have thus far had the stakes but shall the voice of the masses be shut forever? – Not in the least; there is always an avenue through which we all can express our feelings and/or opinions, and that is ultimately at the polling unit.

The election [being over one away] might be seen as being far away but what do you expect when you see the clouds gathering? – The downpour of showers, most probably. Relating this to the election that is coming up in 2019, we are already witnessing a barrage of activities from several politicians: projects are now being completed at an alarming rate; propagandas are on the loose as fiction is exalted over fact; those seeking political offices are suddenly turning a new leaf and getting closer to the people. All these point to one thing: the politicians [who know how critical time is to their ambitions] are playing their cards well as they aim to score ‘political points’ but where does this leave you and me- the citizens or better still, electorate?

This is the very moment when we need to start reviewing the situation at hand circumspectly, and make resolutions to do nothing short of ensuring a result that will reposition our nation on the pedestal of greatness- you may not be privileged to be voted for at the moment but you can definitely have your say in seeing to it that things are set aright.

As such, it is expedient that we center on the reputation of the individuals that will be projected as the top aspirants- especially as it concerns the presidential election. We have got to look out for men whose reputation does not betray moral and ethical standards; men whose words are backed up with action. The question that may be popping up your mind is: “Are there still such men in Nigeria’s political hemisphere? And if there are, will they be allowed to carry their respective party’s flag? I will say that the answer to both questions is YES. There are still men of integrity in this nation, and I believe they can be talked up into contesting for the election. On the latter however, I must confess that it would be really difficult to have a say on the candidate a particular party gives its mandate but I believe that these politicians can be made to have a rethink if we show to them that we are a people of value that is desirous of building a nation where future generations will thrive.

And before we make this all about the political power players; have we had our consciences purged of certain trivialities and/or sentiments [we had always held on to] which have thus far not brought us much good as a nation? Are we going to seek a way to bring out [with that one vote and one voice] our nation from the deep pool of decrepitude it has been plunged into? OR Will it be business as usual? Will realism prevail over fictitious propagandas? The quest for ‘your ‘candidate’ to win the (presidential) election should not trump the need together do what is right in the interest of national development: herein lies the call to do what is needful [on your part] for the socioeconomic sustainability of Nigeria’s polity. 2019 Election is coming at us but how are you gearing up for it?