Robbery in Lagos traffic
Having to face the heavy traffic after a hectic day at work is enough stress on its own but the stress level could get heightened when one considers the possibility of being harassed by robbers while one is stuck in a gridlock. Some places have become known spots where these robbers hang around to carry out their notorious activities; Anthony, Mile 2, Oshodi, Iyana-Oworo, Third Mainland Bridge, Agege Motor Road to mention but a few are some of the areas where hoodlums lie in wait for their victims.
Well, I was prompted to put forward this writeup upon hearing the ordeal a friend suffered from the hands of hoodlums as he was steering his car through the heavy traffic at Oshodi. With the visible logjam, the robbers swung into action, attacking my friend and carting away some valuables. His (experience) was not the first either was it the second- and one can be sure that it will not be the last of such at Oshodi- that I have heard of. There was once a scenario whereby these thugs shattered the window of a car, hit the driver [who happened to be a lady] with a heavy blow on the face and then robbed her of some items. The straw that broke the camel's back in my friend's case was the way a police officer approached him asking: ' how much was taken from him'? So, it was quite probable that the officer was aware that a robbery was going on but decided to stay back and watch things unfold without taking any crime-fighting measure to either dissuade them from carrying out their heinous activity or go after them [calling for backup if need be] in order to make an arrest. There's a saying that: "Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph"- Haile Selassie.
Any solution in sight?
At some point in time, security agents were hot on the heels of those who hawk goods in Lagos traffic as they were not expected to be on the road beyond a particular time in the evening. It is possible that some of these hawkers have ulterior motives but the truth is that most of them are just out to find a means of survival in this hard economy- this does not necessarily mean canvassing for them to stay beyond the stipulated time though. So, it is imperative for the government as well as the Lagos State Police command to focus more on that which would ensure a far-reaching result, and that is making sure that those miscreants lining up various roads- especially the marked areas- are taken off the road and given proper orientation. Isn't it obvious that these boys are only waiting for the opportunity- which they get when there is a gridlock- to strike?
Furthermore, the Police Force have to be more proactive in seeing to it that their men are present in areas where traffic congestion is likely to occur [most especially in the evening]. This will help to ward off the hoodlums from robbing motorists and eventually make the route safe to ply. I must say here that I have seen police officers in strategic spots on a number of occasions but I believe more needs to be done in order to keep traffic robbery from festering and turning into something that will not be easy to manage in the future.