Group Details Private
Site Wide Administrator
Ms Henrietta Ukaigwe
By Olanrewaju Akojede
The Nigeria Women Football League (NWFL) on Tuesday in Lagos announced the death of one of its board members, Ms Henrietta Ukaigwe.
The NWFL Chairperson, Aisha Falode, who disclosed this in a statement, said the respected journalist died during a brief illness.
Its a sad day for women football in Nigeria and indeed in Africa.
The management of the NWFL and the family of Ukaigwe, with deep sorrow and total submission to the will of God, announce the passing away of our board member and renowned sports journalist, Henrietta Ukaigwe.
She left us this morning after a brief illness. The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has been duly notified and we shall be sending further information, she said.
Source: NAN News
Lagos State Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
By Florence Onuegbu
The Lagos State Government on Tuesday inaugurated a 36-chamber morgue at the Infectious Diseases Hospital, Yaba, donated by IHS Towers Nigeria.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the morgue was donated to the Lagos State Government by the IHS Towers Nigeria, a mobile telecommunications infrastructure firm.
The Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, said at the inauguration that death was not something people prayed for, but would also fully accept its inevitability.
And we know that when it happens, it is absolutely necessary for the departed to be treated with care and dignity, until it is time to commit them to mother earth.
This is why we have morgues, and why we will never shy away from expanding our morgue capacity; not because death is palatable but because it is inevitable, Sanwo-Olu said.
He said that in recent months, there had been immense support and generosity of the private sector, especially to the health care sector in Lagos State.
Sanwo-Olu said that there had been significant donations of infrastructure and consumables, among others, to help strengthen the medical systems at a time when it was under great strain from the coronavirus pandemic.
According to him, this pandemic has no doubt brought all hands on deck to support the efforts of governments and not just in Nigeria, but globally as well.
Today, we are gathered for the handover and inauguration of a 36-chamber morgue donated by the IHS Towers to the Lagos State Government specifically the Infectious Diseases Hospital, Yaba.
I would like to express our deep gratitude to IHS Towers for this gesture.
I recall that in April, we experienced a congestion in mortuary capacity in Lagos State.
The fact that the COVID-19 lockdown coincided with the end of Lent, that month deprived many families of the chance to bury their loved ones.
We had to open a special window for funerals to take place to decongest the mortuaries.
Even though those were exceptional circumstances, it was clear from that experience that Lagos could do with an expansion in its morgue capacity.
Now, IHS has stepped up and very generously donated a state-of-the-art morgue facility to the Infectious Diseases Hospital, he said.
The governor said that the morgue would serve not just the IDH, it would be available to serve the entire Lagos State.
He called on other private sector players to emulate the generosity and good corporate citizenship of the IHS Towers.
Sanwo-Olu said that IHS Towers, over the last two decades, had created a significant business investment and philanthropic footprint in Nigeria
Source: NAN News
By Cecilia Ologunagba
The World Health Organisation (WHO) Regional Office for Africa in Brazzaville, Congo, says there are currently over 609,000 confirmed cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Africa.
The UN health agency gave the update on its regional official Twitter account @WHOAFRO on Tuesday.
There are over 609,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases on the African continent with more than 305,000 recoveries and 13,000 deaths, it said.
The regional office stated that South Africa had 287,796 cases and 4,172 deaths, followed by Nigeria with 33,153 confirmed cases and 744 deaths, while Ghana had 24,988 confirmed cases and 139 deaths.
It added that Gambia, Seychelles and Eritrea were countries currently with the lowest confirmed cases in the region.
Gambia, the office said, had 64 confirmed cases with three deaths,Seychelles had 100 reported cases and zero death, while Eritrea had 232 reported cases with no death.
Meanwhile, the organisation advised people to keep to physical distancing to prevent the spread of the virus.
As lockdowns are easing, be sure that you are still protecting yourself and others from COVID-19; avoid large crowds and keep at least one metre distance from others, it said.
In addition, WHO said while much of the worlds attention was on the COVID-19 pandemic, measles remained a silent threat to young children.
WHO partners vaccinate 94,000 children in Aweil East County, South Sudan to protect them from this highly infectious disease.
Source: NAN News
NAFDAC DG, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye
By Aderogba George
The National Agency for Foods and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC) safety test approval is not a stamp for verifying the producers claims.
Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, NAFDAC Director-General, made the clarification in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Abuja.
She said that there are different stages of approvals that a medical or food product must pass through before final certification for general use by consumers.
Safety is the first phase of testing that a product goes through during the approval process.
It involves microbial content and toxicity testing, pesticides residue and toxicants evaluation.
If the product meets the specifications, it can be approved as safe to use and get a listing status registration for two years, she said.
Adeyeye explained that each stage of approval is made explicit for the consumers to discern from the labelling and warning assigned on the product by the NAFDAC.
The applicant is expected to go the next phase which is clinical efficacy testing which is essentially doing a clinical trial on the product.
That is why in the first phase, we put the disclaimer on the label that NAFDAC has not evaluated the product for the claim the client made.
It is at this second stage when the clinical trial is done that the claim can be proved or refuted, she added.
On the recent claim by a drug producer that it has got approval from NAFDAC, the director general said: NAFDAC approved the Paxherbal medicine for listing because it passed safety test.
But that does not mean it can do what the maker says it does immune booster, she said.
Source: NAN News
By Chijioke Okoronkwo
The 2020 edition of the Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) Awards will be held virtually on July 16, the presidency said on Tuesday.
Laolu Akande, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Office of the Vice President, disclosed this in a statement on Monday in Abuja.
The event comes as President Muhammadu Buharis administration continues to roll out palliatives and other supportive measures for small businesses in the country amid the fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic on the economy.
The Secretariat of the National MSMEs Clinic, which organises the Awards started two years ago, has concluded arrangements for the 2020 edition of the event scheduled for Thursday, July 16.
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo will be joined by state governors, ministers, heads of Federal Government departments and agencies, and private sector partners among other stakeholders, at the virtual event.
Live broadcast of the 3rd edition of the Awards will start at 2 p.m while guests including award recipients are expected to join from their respective locations across the country.
The National MSMEs Awards is an initiative of the National MSMEs Clinic Secretariat aimed at encouraging excellence, hard work and innovation in the sector, he said.
Prizes will be won in 12 categories namely MSME Award of Excellence in Agriculture, MSME Award of Excellence in Beauty, Wellness and Cosmetics, MSME Award of Excellence in Fashion and Style and MSME Award of Excellence in Creative Art.
Other categories include, MSMEs Award of Excellence in Leather works, MSMEs Award of Excellence in Manufacturing, MSMEs Award of Excellence in Technology Innovation and MSMEs Award of Excellence in Furniture and Woodwork.
In 2019, Olutayo Ifeoluwa won a brand new car for the MSMEs of the year award, while Norah Onwuasanya and Aminu Miko won the outstanding MSME participant in the female and male categories respectively.
Anambra State was awarded the most supportive MSMEs State.
Source: NAN News
By Oluwafunke Ishola
An NGO, Osogbo Affairs Forum (OSAF), has distributed food items to over 3,000 vulnerable people across seven major communities in Osogbo, to ease the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mr Rasheed Bolarinwa, Chairman, OSAF COVID-19 relief committee made the disclosure in a statement on Tuesday in Lagos.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that OSAF is an NGO comprising Osogbo-born professionals in Nigeria and in the diaspora.
Bolarinwa in the statement, listed the benefitting communities as Ita-Olokan, Owo Ope, Ayegun-Gbonmi, Oke Baale, Isale Agbe, Isale Osun and Oke Popo.
As concerned professionals, we felt the need to collectively reach out to the vulnerable and impact our immediate communities, where many have suffered untold hardship due to the earlier lockdown to contain COVID-19, he said.
He said that the group adopted a community-based and direct distribution system using the existing zoning of the town into seven different communities for distribution of the food items.
This allowed for the bulk food items made up of bags of rice, beans and semovita to first be distributed to the community heads.
The heads will in turn package and deliver the food packs to the vulnerable in their communities under the supervision of the OSAF COVID-19 relief committee, he said.
The statement also quoted Dr Mujidat Salawu, member of OSAF COVID-19 relief committee, as saying that the distribution approach was to enable the package get to the targeted members of the communities.
Salawu said that the heads of the zones were in the best position to identify the vulnerable among them.
It further said that leaders of some of the benefitting communities in Osogbo, commended the organisation for the palliative
Chief Aliu Sonibare, head of Ayegun-Gbonmi community, said the gesture would go a long way to ease the economic burden of the people in this trying time.
Similarly, Chief Gabriel Oparanti, leader of Isale-Agbe community, expressed delight over the gesture saying,
We are happy that successful sons and daughters of the land spread across the globe are giving back to their ancestral home at this time of need.
We pray that God Almighty will continue to replenish the purse of everyone who contributed to make this possible, Oparanti said. (NAN)
Source: NAN News
Dr Chikwe Ikekweazu NCDC Boss
By Oluwafunke Ishola
The number of COVID-19 cases in Lagos State now stands at 12,583, according to data released by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Tuesday.
The NCDC announced the figure in its COVID-19 Situation Report for July 13.
It said that Lagos accounted for 156 new COVID-19 infections out of the 595 cases reported from 20 states on July 13.
This brings the states total number of infections to 12,583, NCDC said.
According to NCDC, Lagos recorded one death on Monday and discharged 19 patients on the reported day, making 1,916 COVID-19 patients that have fully recovered from the disease in the state so far.
As it stands, Lagos remains the epicentre of the pandemic in Nigeria, with 12,583 of the 33,153 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country.
Also, data by the World Health Organisation Africa Region shows that there are 609,888 confirmed COVID-19 cases on the African continent, with over 305,000 recoveries and 13,474 deaths. (NAN)
Source: NAN News
FG Evacuates stranded Nigerians from UK, Dubai
By Lizzy Okoji
The Federal Government said it has successfully evacuated 895 stranded Nigerians from the United Kingdom (UK) and Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
They are expected to arrive Abuja and Lagos on Tuesday.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama Onyeama disclosed this in his twitter handle @GeoffreyOnyeama, on Tuesday, as he gave an update on the evacuation process.
The minister confirmed the evacuation of 590 Nigerians from the UK and 305 others from Dubai, via Emirate Airline.
The evacuees from Dubai are reported to have arrived the country through the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
590 Nigerian evacuees have departed Gatwick North Terminal, #UK on Air Partner UK.
261 passengers departed at 1.00 p.m for Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, while 329 passengers departed at 1.30 p.m. for Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.
All evacuees will then proceed on the 14-day self isolation, Onyeama twitted.
Onyeama also gave an update on the fifth evacuationof Nigerians stranded in the United States in a statement signed by the Consulate General of Nigeria in Atlanta, United States.
According to the statement, Ethiopian Airline Flight Number ET 507, will depart George Bush International Airport, Houston, Texas on Friday, July 31, 2020 at 4:00pm.
It stated that the flight would be expected to arrive the Murtala Muhammad International Airport, Lagos, on Saturday, August 1, 2020, at 8:00 p.m.
Source: NAN News
Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva
By Deji Abdulwahab
The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Mr Timipre Sylva, has expressed optimism that the All Progressives Congress (APC) will reclaim its mandate in the Sept. 19 Governorship Election in Edo.
Sylva said this on Tuesday shortly after the inauguration of the Contact and Mobilisation Committee of the APC National Campaign Council for Edo Governorship Election at the partys National Secretariat in Abuja.
The minister, who chaired the committee, said the partys South/South stakeholders had agreed to reclaim the state in the upcoming poll.
He said that the Edo was taken from the party through the back door and it would be recovered.
All of us in the South-South believe that this election must be won.
It is our stronghold in the region, and therefore we are all geared up, we will all go to Edo State.
We want to assure you that you should not entertain any doubt that Edo will be an APC state very soon, come the election in September.
Election is not all about finance. First, if you say the power of incumbency, it is an APC incumbency that has been stolen by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
So, that kind of incumbency has coma, and that is why we believe that such incumbency will not work.
The Edo people know that the state is for APC and I want to assure you that we are in touch with our people in Edo.
We know that we are the dominant party in Edo and we are going to win this election, Sylva said. (NAN)
Source: NAN News
By Itohan Abara-Laserian
First Bank of Nigeria Limited said that its customers using Verve Cards had begun to enjoy extra five (5) litres of fuel for every N3,000 fuel purchased using the card at specified periods.
Mrs Folake Ani-Mumuney, Group Head, Marketing