Cricket: Kwibuka T20 is an eye opener for me, Germany team Coach
By Ijeoma Okigbo

Ladi Sonaike, Coach of Germany Womens National Team, said the just concluded Kwibuka T20 had been an eye opener for the team.

Sonaike, who is of Nigerian heritage, said the tournament had taught him a lot as a coach and exposed the players to a different style of game.

In an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kigali on Wednesday, the coach added that the tournament was a challenging one.

I think for the team, it was challenging, challenging in a good way. I think it is highlighted the space that they want to play cricket in.

It has also shown that there are other teams out there that are playing not just a good style of cricket but a very good standard one.

I guess some of the players might have been a little bit surprised by the high standard, but they enjoyed the challenge all the same. From a coaching angle. It has been educating to be here.

To see how teams approach games, their fitness levels has been an eye opener for me, so yes, educational is the word for me, he said.

Sonaike, who has been a coach for 15 years, said he was hopeful to someday, return to Nigeria to help develop the game.

I have not thought about that before coming to Rwanda but now I am beginning to nurse the idea.

Anything is possible in the next few years, you never can tell. It will be good to contribute my part to Nigeria and seeing how much the team has developed is incredible, Sonaike added.

A total of eight countries participated in the 18th edition of Kwibuka T20 from June 9 to June 18 with Germany emerging seventh place. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Idris Abdulrahman

Source: NAN News