Comedian Zelensky wins by  landslide in Ukraine, Poroshenko concedes
Volodymyr Zelensky, a comedian with no political experience won a landslide victory in Ukraines presidential election Sunday, exit polls showed, dealing a stunning rebuke to the countrys political establishment.

Zelensky whose only previous political role was playing the president on television, trounced incumbent Petro Poroshenko by taking 73 percent of the vote, according to exit polls conducted by several think tanks.

Poroshenko, who lost to the television star across all regions of the country, including in the west where he traditionally enjoyed strong support, has already called Zelensky to congratulate him.

In a series of tweets, he also said he would not quit politics yet.

Never give up. Never, never, never Neither in the big nor in the small, nor in the a significant, nor in the shallow Never give up if that doesnt contradict honour and common sense.

Already next month I will leave the post of head of state. So the majority of Ukrainians decided, and I perceive this decision. I will go from the office of President. But I do not go out of politics. Firmly want to declare and explain why.

Our team will defend our course for the European Union and NATO membership. Because only in the worlds strongest collective security system, we can receive reliable protection from Russia, guarantee the independence of the country and the safety of citizens.

Our team will be protecting visa-free. Our team will protect our army from mid-country attacks, from any attempts to diminish the historical significance of its exploit. Our team will protect the Ukrainian language. If the next weeks board adopts the law on language, I will definitely sign it.

The election was an extraordinary outcome to a campaign that started as a joke but struck a chord with voters frustrated by poverty, corruption and a five-year war that has claimed some 13,000 lives.

The 41-year-old star of TV series Servant of the People will now take the helm of a country of 45 million people beset by challenges and having run on the vaguest of political platforms.

After taking the most votes in last months first-round election, Zelensky had enjoyed a strong lead over the 53-year-old Poroshenko going into Sundays poll.

Voting earlier in the capital Kiev, the beaming frontrunner had said his campaign managed to bring Ukrainians together.

We have united Ukraine, he said, wearing a casual suit with a t-shirt and accompanied by his wife. Everything will be all right.

Sparkling wine was on offer at his campaign headquarters as the stars team prepared to toast his victory on Palm Sunday, a week before Orthodox Easter.

Preliminary results were expected in several hours but the same exit polls were accurate in the first round.

From Ukrainian-speaking regions in the west of the country to Russian-speaking territories in the war-torn east, many voters said they feared uncertainty but yearned for change.

Were tired of all the lies, said Marta Semenyuk, 26, who cast her ballot for the comedian.

I think it just cannot get any worse and I hope hell live up to his promises, said Larisa, an 18-year-old student from the government-held eastern port city of Mariupol.

Zelenskys victory opens a new chapter in the history of a country that has gone through two popular uprisings in the last 20 years and is mired in a conflict with Moscow-backed separatists in the east.

His supporters say only a fresh face can clean up Ukraines politics and end the separatist conflict.

But others doubt the showman will be able to take on the countrys influential oligarchs, negotiate with the likes of German Chancellor Angela Merkel and stand up to Russias Vladimir Putin.

People have gone mad, Viktoriya Olomutska, a 39-year-old Poroshenko supporter, said in Kiev. Cinema and reality are two different things.

Source: NAN