Save
Saving
  • A
    admin

    NCDC reports 111 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,724

    Coronavirus update

    By Abujah Racheal

    The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reported 111 new cases of COVID-19 in the country.

    NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Wednesday.

    According to the agency, with the new infections, the total number of confirmed cases in the country is now 57, 724.

    It disclosed that 149 persons were discharged after being successfully treated and had recovered from the coronavirus.

    The public health agency said two deaths were recorded in the country in the last 24 hours from the deadly virus.

    NCDC said that the 111 new cases were reported from 12 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

    The agency said Lagos recorded 31 cases, followed by Gombe with 18, Kaduna with 18 and the FCT with 15.

    Others are Rivers (14), Imo (3), Kwara (3), Oyo (3), Bayelsa (2), Ogun (2), Edo (1) and Osun (1).

    The NCDC said till date, 57,724 cases have been confirmed, with 48,985 cases discharged and 1,102 deaths recorded in 36 states and FCT.

    The health agency said that a multi-sectoral national Emergency Operations Centre, activated at Level 3, have continued to coordinate the national response activities across the country.

    According to the NCDC, the global COVID-19 death toll is about one million while scientists are still investigating immune response and cure.

    The agency said that Nigerians in the FCT with symptoms of COVID-19, who had been in close contact with a recently confirmed case, should visit one of its sample collection sites in the FCT to get tested.

    Access full list of sites via: covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/samplesites/.

    You might come in contact with infected people with no symptoms.

    It is important to maintain physical distancing and avoid large gatherings because you may not know who may have COVID-19.

    Take responsibility to keep yourself and your loved ones safe, the agency said.

    The News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) also reports that NCDC is supporting the Federal Ministry of Education and relevant partners at a three-day stakeholder dialogue across the six geopolitical zones on an integrated approach to safe school reopening.

    In attendance were Commissioners for Health and Education, head teachers, traditional rulers as well as representatives of the NUT, SUBEB, PTAs, school management committee and Association of School Proprietors.

    Source: NAN News

    posted in News & Trends read more
  • A
    admin

    Tinubu commiserates with Fayose over sisters death

    Tinubu commiserates with Fayose over sisters death

    By Oluwatope Lawanson

    A former Lagos State governor, Sen. Bola Tinubu, has commiserated with former Governor of Ekiti, Ayodele Fayose, over the death of his elder sister, Mrs Moji Ladeji.

    Tinubus condolence is contained in a statement issued by his Media aide, Mr Tunde Rahman, on Wednesday in Lagos.

    Ladeji died on Sept. 21 after a brief illness

    The All Progressives Congress (APC) leader, who expressed sadness, said his thoughts were with the deceased family.

    Im deeply saddened by the death of your immediate elder sister, Mrs Moji Ladeji.

    Accept my sympathy and extend my condolences to the Ladeji and Fayose families.

    Please know that my thoughts are with you at this moment, he said

    Tinubu prayed that the late Ladejis soul find eternal rest and that Gods protection be on her immediate and extended family.

    Source: NAN News

    posted in News & Trends read more
  • A
    admin

    Orji Kalu commends FG, Abia leaders for N12bn Ohafia-Arochukwu road project

    Sen. Orji Kalu

    By Ikenna Uwadileke

    Former governor of Abia, Dr Orji Kalu has commended President Muhammadu Buhari for approving the reconstruction of section two of Ohafia to Arochukwu road in Abia North Senatorial District.

    Kalu who also represents Abia North Senatorial zone, made the commendation in a statement he issued on Thursday in Abuja and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

    The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday approved N12 billion for the road reconstruction project.

    Kalu expressed his appreciation to President Buhari for what he referred to as a great favour to the people of Abia North.

    Kalu who is the Chief Whip of the Senate, said that getting the road approved has increased his fulfilment as a representative of the people, adding that it would breath life into the economy and livelihood of Ohafia and Arochukwu.

    He commended the Minister of Works and Housing,Babatunde Fashola, President of the Senate,Ahmad Lawan and Speaker House of Representatives,Femi Gbajabiamila for the approval.

    He said that they demonstrated relentless efforts and worked hand in hand with him to capture the road in the appropriation process.

    Others are Chairman Senate Committee on Works, Sen. Adamu Aliero, Managing Director, Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority, Mr Uche Orji and Acting Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Works, Abubakar Aliyu.

    Also in the list is the Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Interior Georgina Ehuriah for their relentless efforts in actualising this dream, Kalu said

    He also expressed appreciation to the AbiaAll Progressives Congress, stating that the stakeholders worked as a team towards the project.

    And their team work has given them victory, Kalu added.

    He further commended Deputy Chief Whip of the House of Representatives and member representing Isuikwuato /Umunneochi Federal Constituency,Nkeiru Onyejiocha and the Minister of State for Mines and steel,Dr Uche Ogah.

    Others are member representing Arochukwu/Ohafia Federal Constituency,Rep. Uko Nkole, member representing Bende Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives,Rep. Benjamin Kalu for their commitment and assistance in facilitating the road approval

    He said: I, on behalf of the goodpeople of Abia North Senatorial zone and Abia State, do express sincere appreciation to President Muhammadu Buhari, for this great favour to the people of Abia North.

    I am deeply excited because the completion of the road would improve the quality of life of our constituents by easing the stress they currently face commuting the road especially Arochukwu road.

    The chief whip believes that when completed, the road being a strong economic artery of Abia North Senatorial zone, would reduce the hardship facing commuters. (NAN)

    Source: NAN News

    posted in News & Trends read more
  • A
    admin

    Troops eliminate Boko Haram commanders, fighters in Lake Chad  DHQ

    Nigeria Troop

    By Sumaila Ogbaje

    Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole have eliminated several top commanders and fighters of Boko Haram terrorists group in their various camps at the fringes of Lake Chad in Kukawa Local Government Area (LGA) of Borno.

    The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.

    Enenche said that the troops also destroyed several camps used by the terrorists located at Tunbun Gini, Tunbun Nbororo, Tunbun Kayoma, Tunbun Kaza and Tunbun Fulani during the operation.

    He said that some of the top Boko Haram/ISWAP commanders killed during the operation were- Abu Usman, Alhaji Shettima, Modu Mainok, Bukar Gana, Abu Summayya, Amir Taam and Amir Kuraish.

    He assured that the Armed Forces of Nigeria in collaboration with other security agencies were committed to ending terrorism and other security challenges in the country.

    While the good people of the North-East are once again assured of troops commitment to the safety of lives and property within the zone, they are also encouraged to continue to avail the troops with timely and credible information that will assist them in the conduct of their operations, he said. (NAN)

    Source: NAN News

    posted in News & Trends read more
  • A
    admin

    COVID-19: Israeli PM approves stricter lockdown

    COVID-19

    Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu said current restrictions would be tightened up to a full lockdown for two weeks beginning at 2 p.m. (1100 GMT) on Friday, in the face of the soaring COVID-19 numbers.

    The new restrictions, he said, include closures of all non-essential businesses and markets.

    Synagogues are to close except on the holy fast day of Yom Kippur, which begins on Sunday evening and ends 25 hours later, when worshippers would be allowed to pray in accordance with specific regulations.

    Public transport would operate on a limited basis.

    Professional sports competitions are prohibited, with the exception of official international ones.

    The tighter lockdown is set to end after the Jewish holiday season, which concludes with Simchat Torah on Oct. 11.

    Netanyahu has announced another two weeks would be added after the end of the lockdown with fewer restrictions, depending on statistics.

    Both protests and outdoor prayers are to be limited to groups of 20 people and restricted to a 1km-radius from their homes.

    The rate of daily COVID-19 infections in Israel remained close to 7,000, the Health Ministry announced on Thursday, as the country prepared for tougher lockdown measures to come into force.

    According to the newly released data, 6,808 new cases of coronavirus were confirmed on Wednesday, close to the record of 6,950 on Tuesday.

    On Wednesday night, Israels cabinet passed new restrictions tightening a second lockdown that began on Sept. 18.

    The ministry stressed that the decision must be approved by a parliament. (dpa/NAN)

    Source: NAN News

    posted in News & Trends read more
  • A
    admin

    Free trade zone scheme remains presidential initiative  NEPZA

    Free trade zone scheme remains presidential initiative NEPZA Chief

    By Emmanuella Anokam

    The Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority (NEPZA), says the Free Trade Zone (FTZ) scheme in the country is a presidential initiative aimed at propelling economic growth through local production.

    Prof. Adesoji Adesugba, NEPZA Managing Director said this while speaking with some operators of enterprises in the Calabar free trade zone in Cross Rivers State capital during an official tour of the zone.

    Adesugba in a statement by Mr Martins Odeh, the Head, Corporate Communications, NEPZA on Thursday said that President Muhammadu Buhari was fully committed to ensuring the success of the scheme.

    He said that the Federal Government was aware of the challenges associated with zones operations, adding that it considered the prospects and gains to far out-weigh those challenges.

    Adesugba, however, said the public and private sectors must agree to work together to jointly solve some of the problems negating the smooth operations of the scheme in the country.

    According to him, arrangement to upgrade electricity supplies to both Calabar and Kano free trade zones directly managed by the government has reached advance stage.

    The private zones are gradually out-growing the challenges of power and water supplies; the president is, therefore, committed to making the public zones enjoy similar infrastructural stability, he said.

    He said enterprises in the zones must be allowed to enjoy free tax regime as advocated by the drafters of the concept.

    We must ensure that the public understands the true meaning of the scheme which is simply a business enclave out of the customs area.

    The enterprises operating in the zones are not taxable. This is an aspect where the various tax agencies must come to terms with.

    The scheme could affect government revenue generation in a short term, but will boost local production, create employment, attract Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) for industrialisation in the long run, the managing director said.

    Furthermore, the NEPZA boss urged the staff of the authority in the zone to develop a renewed vigour toward helping in executing the agencys mandate.

    He said that the management would no longer condone ineptitude behaviour from any members of the workforce.

    Adesugba, who assumed office as Chief Executive Officer of the authority about three months ago, had embarked on similar familiarisation tour to Kano and Lagos zones respectively. (NAN)

    Source: NAN News

    posted in News & Trends read more
  • A
    admin

    Customs seizes N31.9m contraband in Bauchi

    Hameed Ali, NCS Boss

    By Ahmed Kaigama

    The Federal Operations Unit, Zone D of the Nigeria Customs Service, Bauchi, has made a seizure of contraband worth N31.944 millon.

    Mr Adesanmi Omiye, the Comptroller of the unit made this known on Thursday in Bauchi.

    Omiye said operatives of the unit, who had succeeded in blocking and suppressing smuggling within the zone, made the seizure of the goods between April to date.

    The total duty paid value (DPV) of the contraband intercepted was worth N31,944,700.The goods include 1230 of 50kg bags of foreign parboiled rice, 28 bales of used clothing, 25 x 25 litres jerry cans of foreign vegetable oil.

    Others are 22 cartons of foreign spaghetti, 56225 Litres jerry cans of premium motor spirit PMS and 14 units of used vehicles, as means of conveyance, he said.

    According to him, due to the combustible and hazardous nature of premium motor spirit (PMS), it had since been auctioned and the accrual paid into the Federation account.

    Omiye said that the actions of the operatives was in line with the provisions of Section 8 (Officers to have Powers of Police Officers), Section 147.

    That gives officers powers to search premises without warrant, where there are reasonable grounds to suspect that goods liable for forfeiture are concealed.

    Section 158 (Power to Patrol Freely) of Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA) Cap C45 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 as amended, Omiye said.

    The comptroller observed that the unprecedented seizures were achieved as a result of sharing of information, intelligence gathering and doggedness of the officers and men of the zone.

    He urged Nigerians to assist in providing genuine information that would aid in eradicating the menace of smuggling in the zone and the country at large.

    Eradicating smuggling in this country will boost the economy which will make the Federal Government provide social amenities to the citizen, he said.

    While reiterating the service commitment to make the zone unbearable to smugglers, the comptroller warned smugglers of the legal consequences when arrested.(NAN)

    Source: NAN News

    posted in News & Trends read more
  • A
    admin

    FG inaugurates committee to deepen education research

    Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu

    By Funmilayo Adeyemi

    The Federal Government has inaugurated a 160-member standing committee of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) Research and Development (R

    posted in News & Trends read more
  • A
    admin

    Schools to reopen in Adamawa Oct.12

    Gov. Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa

    By Muhammad Adam

    Gov. Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa has directed all public and private schools in the state to reopen on Oct. 12.

    Fintiri gave the directive in a statement by his Press Secretary, Mr Humwashi Wonosikou, on Thursday in Yola.

    The governor, however, regretted the long closure of schools due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

    I am pleased to announce Monday October 12 for resumption of academic activities from the basic to tertiary levels having wasted so much time.

    As a government, we will not leave any stone unturned towards ensuring enforcement of the COVID-19 Protocols, governor said.

    He directed the Ministry of Education and Human Capital Development to meet with stakeholders in the sector to discuss modalities for the reopening.

    According to him, school managers should observe the COVID-19 Protocols and provide the necessary requirement needed for the safety of students.

    Schools must ensure washing of hands at entry points, use of face mask and hand sanitizers as well as social distancing and proper hygiene.

    Any institution or school found wanting risk closure and sanctioning, Fintiri said.

    He advised parents to take interest in the health of their children and wards by assisting schools in providing the basic requirements to fight the pandemic.( NAN)

    Source: NAN News

    posted in News & Trends read more
  • A
    admin

    NAFDAC confiscates N350,000 worth of fake hand sanitisers in Bauchi

    NAFDAC DG, Prof. Moji Adeyeye

    By Amina Ahmed

    The National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Bauchi State Office, says it has seized cartons of fake hand sanitizers worth N350,000 in some super markets and drug retail outlets in the state.

    The State Coordinator ,Mr Mohammed Muazu, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday, in Bauchi.

    He said the the items were confiscated following a raid on shops carried out three days ago.

    He said the exercise was sequel to a directive from the Enforcement Directorate of the Agency.

    Muazu said that of the 13 brands of the fake sanitizers,11 were manufactured in Kano state while two were produced in Bauchi state.

    He said that the Agency had commenced investigation to trace the manufacturers, adding that monitoring exercise would continue.

    He noted that any culprit apprehended would face the full wrath of the law.

    The Coordinator urged the public to be mindful of NAFDAC and Batch Numbers, Manufacturing and Expiry dates of food,drugs and medical consumable.

    The general public should understand that quality of hand sanitisers not registered by NAFDAC cannot be guranteed, and the aim will not be achieved,he said.(NAN)

    Source: NAN News

    posted in News & Trends read more