There is tension in Ejigbo, Osun State after rumours emerged that a suspected COVID-19 patient left the isolation centre at Unity High School and visited a pub in the town.
WuzupNigeria gathered that the man is one of the 127 Cote d’Ivoire returnees from which 18 were diagnosed with the virus after tests.
The Punch Newspapers reports that many residents of Ejigbo stayed indoor.
Quoting sources, the paper reported that the decision to stay indoor was not only as a result of the stay-at-home directive of the state government but largely due to the fear that the man that reportedly left the isolation centre might have spread the virus.
“Some of them don’t believe they are threats with their status, but we have been explaining to them the need to remain in isolation to prevent community spread of the disease,” the paper quoted a resident of Ejigbo, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
At the isolation centre, sources confided in one of our correspondents, said agitation by those in the centre continued, even though operatives of Department of State Services had also been drafted into the premises to join anti-riot police in providing security.
Osun State deputy governor, Benedict Alabi, it was learnt also visited the centre on Thursday to ensure that the situation was put under control.
The Osun State Government on Thursday confirmed that six more Cote d’Ivoire returnees tested positive for coronavirus. With the latest cases, the state now has 20 COVID-19 cases.
The Osun State Commissioner for Health, Dr Rafiu Isamotu, said all the 127 returnees had been tested and 18 of them had returned positive.
All the 18 coronavirus cases were said to have been moved out of the isolation centre to another facility. Before 18 cases were recorded, the state had two COVID-19 patients.
The 127 travellers from the West African nation had arrived the state last Saturday and were kept in isolation at the Unity High School, Ejigbo, where many of the returnees hailed from.